Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Special is in the eye of the beholder

I've never been one to talk about my children much. When someone asks how they are, I've always given a pretty quick and succinct answer (that is completely void of any mention of their sleeping habits and bowel movements). I haven't ever wanted to bore other people with the goings on as my life as a mother. In conversation I've treated looking after the children like any other career, and ensured I never spent more than 15% of any given conversation talking about them.

I've avoided over hyping my own children for two reasons 1. I loathe it when people bang on about their kids non-stop, to the complete detriment of intelligent conversation and 2. I think my kids are fabulous, but you don't have to.

miles01

miles02

I was reminded of point two on the weekend. My friend Anna asked after Miles and Ryan. I gave the usual 'yep, all good, haven't broken them completely yet' kind of answer and she laughed (and not at my oh-so-not-so witty response). 'You've always been like that,' Anna reminded me. 'You've never forced anyone else to love your kids'. And it's very true. Like I said, I think my kids are fabulous, but I'm fully aware that they are neither out of the ordinary or entirely special. I know that every mother feels their child is god's gift to this earth, and on doing the maths, I know that not every kid can be (yes, I'm aware I've opened up a religious can of worms there. Let the worms flow forth!).

Sure, my children are completely special to me, but that's enough. I don't need the world to think they're special too.

miles03

So as more of an aside, and so his grandfather can see some recent photos of him, here are some portraits I took of Miles to commemorate him turning 5. His birthday was completely special to our little family, and Miles revelled in the knowledge that he was growing up and up and up. Amba and I high fived (as we do as each kid reaches any new milestone) at having got Miles this far, and all signs were looking good for Miles turning out just fine.

Happy birthday Miles. To me you are entirely special.

miles04


* Meaghan

Join the FACEBOOK PAGE | Follow on TWITTER

7 comments:

Bianca March 30, 2011 at 7:01 PM  

I agree on the neverending reports on eating, pooing and talking and I love you for staying you and being a mum. Miles is just the most delightful little being and although you dont need me to think that, I do.

Robyn March 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

Meaghs, that is absolutely beautiful. xoxo

chrissy torney March 30, 2011 at 9:36 PM  

Oh gosh, I think my entire facebook status updates have been related to sleeping and pooping!! SORRY!!! I love your words and Mile's portraits are gorgeous!

Sarah March 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM  

Ha, jokes on everyone. Miles IS the special one!

P.S. this reminds me of Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobeggon, "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average."

Jen Stocks March 31, 2011 at 9:25 AM  

You are so right, and that's one reason I have never liked being a part of a mother's group!

Oh, and you don't have to force me to like him. I do anyway, even though i've never met him. How can yo not like something so cute?

Meaghan, I love reading your blog. You make sense, and you are so intelligent. I love hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Dale Taylor March 31, 2011 at 2:28 PM  

Well he looks pretty special and adorable to me. I am sure he is, given he has such a wonderful mum. Gorgeous photos.

Pru March 31, 2011 at 10:18 PM  

Oh lovely... Every child is in fact entirely special.
Such a gorgeous collection! X

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP