Saturday, April 10, 2010

Australian Top Emerging Wedding Photographer 2010 award

When I started my photography business, I didn't really know where it would take me. I thought I'd just do it for awhile, see where it took me. I had hoped that it would be successful and that I would enjoy being a photographer. When I started it I had a baby and a toddler, so let's be honest, I was also looking for something to do for myself.

I feel so lucky that those hopes came true. I really love being a photographer. I love creating art, creating memories, capturing moments for people to treasure forever. It gives me so much more than I'd imagined. Photography nurtures my creativity, and enables me to step outside of myself. It also enables me to meet so many wondrous and amazing people.

I feel like I'm extremely successful too, although I don't measure success in money or the amount of clients that I have. I measure it in the joy people get out of my photos, and of their experience of having me as their photographer. Success to me is reading the thankyou cards I get from couples who's weddings I've photographed who are over the moon with their photos. Success is the mother who says she loves her family photos because I've captured them being themselves. Those things make me grin from ear to ear and make me feel like a success.



But it's something all together different when I'm recognised by my industry. I've been nominated in the Australia Top Photographers awards for 2010. Yes you can knock me over with a feather. I entered not thinking too much would come of it, then I found out I had been shortlisted from hundreds of entries and I nearly exploded. You can see the other great photographers who have been nominated also HERE. There's some incredible work amounst the group, so I'm incredibly honoured just to be considered. It's hard to believe something like this would come so early in my career. I certainly didn't think a nomination like this possible when I started my business less than 2 years ago. I'm so so very humbled. (And quietly so excited I'm wetting my pants!)

EDITED TO ADD: I was lucky enough to win, and be named one of the Top 5 Emerging Wedding photographers in Australia 2010 by Capture Magazine.

* Meaghan

12 comments:

LK April 10, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

Wow! I'm so glad you have been nominated although I am not surprised! Your creativity shows in your composition!

Congratulations!

Sarah Bowen April 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

Congratulations Meaghan! That's fantastic news but not suprising at all, you truly deserve the nomination and I'm pretty damn sure you'll win too! Good luck

Natalie Davies April 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

Oh wow what an achievement! Congratulations.

Becky April 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

Yay you, Meaghan! But not at all a surprise. You create magic and it should justifiably win everything, always. Enjoy the kudos!

Claire April 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

EEEEEEP!!! You totally rock!

Renee Bell April 12, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

wow!!! awesome news and certainly well deserved!!!!

Belinda April 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! The passion oozes out of your photos. Congratulations - you deserve it!

cazz April 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Well I'm not surprised either! You are an absolute inspiration...I LOVE your work!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

MEAGHAN COOK PHOTOGRAPHY BOUTIQUE April 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Thanks so much everyone. I've been overwhelmed with your response. People have been commenting here and over on facebook, sending me tweets, emailing me, phoning me and stopping me in the supermarket. Truly, I am overwhelmed and humbled.
Meaghan x

Julian Beattie April 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

Congratulations Meaghan :)

Kylie Clark April 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

WOOHOO M. Good luck! totally deserving!

Life at no2 April 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

Whoop whoop, you will win for sure!

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP