Monday, May 3, 2010

Wedding - Kate and Alan

I get asked often, what it's like to be a wedding photographer. 'Wow, what an amazing job," they say, and I wholeheartedly agree. There are still days though where everything that can go wrong, does. Kate and Alan's wedding was one such day for me.





It started with me getting horribly lost on the way to Kate's hotel. I knew that I wanted to be on King's way in Albert Park, but kept getting stuck around the Arts Centre. I called my GPS every name under the sun, threatened to throw it off the Bolte Bridge, and ended up having to get Amba to direct me over the phone. Somehow I managed to still get to Kate on time.





Then it was off to the ceremony. I was wearing different shoes than I usually wear, and they were giving me grief. Severe grief. I'd done a bit of walking that morning, and when I glanced down at my heel I saw I had a ferocious blister that was oozing blood. I rummaged through the car and made a band aid with the only materials available: cotton wool and sticky tape. It lasted as long as it took me to walk from my car to the Royal Botanical Gardens. I ditched it, and mashed the back of my shoe down so that it didn't touch my blister. I'd worry about having a broken shoe later.





Right before the ceremony, my favourite lens packed it in. It wouldn't focus. Not even manually. By this stage guests were gathering and Alan was getting prepared. I threw it into my bag, grabbed my assistant Nathan's, and kept going. It wasn't a problem, more a minor inconvenience. There was no use whinging about it right before Kate walked down the aisle. Instead I whinged about it when I got home. A lot, and loudly.





My thoughts exactly, Alan. It was still a brilliant wedding. As soon as the ceremony started all my previous woes flew out of my head. It was all about the two wonderful people standing in front of their family and friends getting married.



I love shooting the weddings of people I know. I knew Kate from high school, so knew many other people there as well. I've had the pleasure of sharing a hockey field with two of the bridesmaids. It was great to see them again, hear what they're up to and how they are both completely kicking goals. Their dresses where a welcome change from the shin pads and ill fitting shorts of years ago.











At some stage God must have decided he'd had enough fun with me, and sent me down some wonderful warm light for me to shoot in.









Kate and Alan are the sort of couple that you want to be around. They say kind things about each other. They are loving without being lovey-dovey. They giggle. They know that life is there to be enjoyed.







I still loved every minute of photographing Kate and Alan's wedding. So while it was a tough day at the office, it was still a brilliant day. Because really, being a wedding photographer is not like normal work, it's better. So even days when my equipment fails me, my feet get blisters and I get horribly lost, I don't mind so much. I still get to be there to capture a wedding of wonderful people like Kate and Alan.

You can view Alan and Kate's slideshow HERE

* Meaghan


Contact Meaghan | Join the FACEBOOK PAGE | Follow on TWITTER

5 comments:

Jen Stocks May 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

More awesome photos from an awesome photographer. Gorgeous couple too!

Rana May 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

Looking at the photos you would never guess you'd had a bad day Meaghan. Gorgeous photos :)

Bec May 3, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

You did an amazing job, even with everything you had to contend with. I hope your lens get's fixed and your feet have recovered. Gorgeous work Meaghan!

Unknown May 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

Lovely work Cookie - what a trouper! Look forward to seeing all the shots. :)

Anonymous May 7, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

you would never know you had such a bad day, great shots
jackie

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP