Friday, September 10, 2010

There goes the fear

There was a time when I was scared. I never wanted to leave the house with the two children. Heaven forbid something should go wrong! I dreamt up wild and crazy scenarios that I convinced myself would happen if I ventured out (usually the scenarios involved either one or both children, a nappy not doing its job and public humiliation). This fear was worse when Miles was just a baby, because I had absolute no idea what I was doing and was convinced someone would be able to tell if they saw me struggling in the street with the nappy bag, pram, wailing child and the weight of expectations.

So I stayed home a lot. At least at home when things went wrong there was no-one there to see that was over the age of 2 (oh what those children have seen!).

meaghancook02

Recently though I've I realised I can juggle the nappy bag, pram, two wailing children and the weight of expectations, all with a smile on my face (albeit a kinda strained one). Something seems to have clicked at that over bearing fear of an outing with the children seems to have lifted. I'm still fully aware that things can go horribly wrong, and they most likely will involve an ill-timed toilet stop, but I've realised that I just don't care.

meaghancook03

meaghancook04

Miles, Ryan and I zipped up to Melbourne for the day today. I needed to hire a lens that I've been wanting to try out (the oh so lovely 35mm f2), and had to pick it up from Ben's Camera Hire. Usually a trip like this would be riddled with anxiety on my behalf, a complete lack of spontaneity and not a whole lot of fun.

meaghancook05

meaghancook06

meaghancook07

But this trip was different. I realised the fear was gone. I didn't give a shit if it all went wrong. Meh, so what? This lead to a rollicking day filled with tram rides, jumping puddles in Bourke St and hanging out at the museum.

meaghancook08

meaghancook09

meaghancook10

meaghancook11

Sure, it wasn't all peachy. I did let out an almighty scream as Ryan reached to open the toilet door right as I was in the middle of going which made someone on the outside call out to see if I was alright. But really, that's not so bad.

meaghancook14

meaghancook15

meaghancook16

meaghancook17

Heck, I even threw in a trip to Ikea, ignoring all signs that I should go home such as Ryan begging me "Mummy, can we go home now?'

meaghancook18

So maybe I am getting the hang of this parenting thing. Or maybe I just don't really care anymore that I have no idea at all.

meaghancook13

* Meaghan

Info and news about my photography workshops HERE

8 comments:

Sarah September 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

And you got to visit that amazing animal room at the museum! I love that place!

MEAGHAN COOK PHOTOGRAPHY BOUTIQUE September 11, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

That animal room is absolutely incredible. We spent most of our time just in there. The kids loved spotting their fave animals (and laughing at the monkey's bottom of course).

LCM September 11, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

so beautiful....there is no right way to parent, as long as you love unconditionally - which you so clearly do. mistakes = growth! love these photos xx Luci

Anonymous September 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

IKEA!!!!!
you are so brave lady. All my hats off to you. I am still scared from last time .... shudder

astrogirl529 September 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

These pics are amazing!! Are they taken with the hired lens?

astrogirl529 September 11, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

These photos are amazing! Are they taken with the hired lens?

Lara Kelly September 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

More pictures with 6 blue eyes are required...

MEAGHAN COOK PHOTOGRAPHY BOUTIQUE September 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Thanks y'all. More photos with me in them will be delivered.

@astrogirl529 - yep, all taken with the 35mm f/2/ Love it! (Hope new bubs is going well)

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP