Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I lift my glass

James lifted his glass as he gave his wedding speech, and toasted his mother. He told how his mother had come to Australia on her own with two small children under her wing. Their father stayed behind in Taiwan, leaving James' mother to navigate their new lives in this new country on her own. James marveled at how magnificently she coped, despite the loneliness, the language barrier, the cultural differences, the rigors of raising two young children.

And I marveled too, as I looked across the room at this woman who had overcome so many obstacles, and had done it with sheer strength and determination. I was completely inspired by her story. I have to take deep breaths just to take my children to the supermarket. And I can read what's written on the packages on the shelves!

miles-1

Hearing James' mother's story made me grateful for what I have. It helped me see clearly that I really do have a good life, and easy life. Sure, sometimes it can all seem like a battle, but it never really is. It's just my perception (which is usually very warped when I get tired!). So what if there's pancake mixture on the roof?

So I'd like to raise my glass to Jame's mother. Her two children are intelligent, warm and crazy funny. She has brought them up so very, very well, against all odds. She is truly one of life's success stories.

I thank her also for showing me that life is good.

* Meaghan

Join the FACEBOOK PAGE | Follow on TWITTER

0 comments:

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP