Friday, June 5, 2009

Supermarket sweep me away

Do you remember that crazy game show back in the 90's? Supermarket Sweep. Contestants were given a shopping trolley, an empty supermarket, and the freedom to cram as much into the trolley as they could. Some guy with suitably bad hair hosted it, and I secretly wished I could be a contestant so that I could fill my trolley with as many suger-laden goods as I could. And cereal, I would have got lots of cereal.

Today I wished I was back in 1994, weilding a shopping cart and could be let loose at the Geelong Mill Markets. This place is vintage/retro/old school heaven. As soon as I walked in there I wanted to grab everything under my arms and take it home.

But I was there on a specific mission to find some old suitcases that I can use in a photoshoot I've got coming up. I wanted old, but not too old. Funky, but not kitsch. Tasteful, but slightly bad taste at the same time.

So I tried to close my eyes to the vintage kid's tricycle, the gorgeous emperor style chairs that would look amazing in my lounge room, and the flamingo pink 70's fridge, and searched out suitcases.

Low and behold, I found them.



And I darn well love them.

What's that on top of the suitcases? Oh um yes, well that's the vintage camera that I couldn't leave the store without.



It's a Coronet Victor. It's designed to take itty bitty 4cm x 4cm photos. It has just two shutter speeds, and two apertures to match. The Coronet Victor cost £2 12s. 8d. in 1959. Sure, I won't ever find film for it, but I love pressing the shutter and rolling the dials all the same.

I'm letting myself believe that someone owned this once, and loved it wholeheartedly. They took photos of their children, the dog, the neighbours peeking over the fence. They captured their little slice of life with it.



Keep an eye out for my sweet Victor and the suitcases featuring in some upcoming photoshoots.

* Meaghan

4 comments:

Anonymous June 5, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Love it!

Thanks again for a great couple of hours, really enjoyed learning a bit more about how to use my baby Nikon. Your kids are adorable, and very photogenic. And loved your story about the country bumpkins as well.

You sure know how to give a girl inspiration.

Anna

Kylie June 6, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

Oh golly Meaghan. I am sure we are sisters. That market is calling me. When I get over this horrendous horrendous all-day sickness - we'll have to meet up!

Kaylene June 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM  

Wonderful finds :) Can't wait to see the magic in them :)

Renee Bell June 7, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

oh wow love the cases and the camera!!!! so jealous!!

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP