Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Country bumpkins hit the big city

I have a love hate relationship with Melbourne. I love the leaves in the Fitzroy gardens in autumn. I love melbourne university where I learnt little from the prescribed texts but lots from my adventures there. I love the delicious food on Victoria Street. I love the late night coffees with friends. And the ding of the trams. Love that ding.

But I don't love the sleek roads during winter. Or the unrelenting pressure to be up with the latest restaurant/band/film/book. I don't love that everyone is always dressed better than me. I don't love the ticket machine's on trams. And I don't love that I can do anything I want at any time of the day or night. It just doesn't make sense! This little lady needs structure goshdarnit.

But I do absolutely love going there. I need regular fixes of the crazy city to balance the quietness of my home life. Todays visit was no exception. My friend Sarah was visiting from Bangkok, so I saddled the kids into the car and we headed up for the day.

As you can probably tell from the background to these photos of Sarah, we visited the museum.





Wrap me over the knuckles, I've never been before. I think I may have had a short sleep on it's steps many years ago on a long walk home from the pub, but I've never been inside. Ooo, it's wonderful. Lots of things to look at, and learn, and poke at, and explore. And the architecture is incredible. I'm already looking for my first couple to take their for photos. So many inspired spots.



Miles and Ryan loved it's guts out. I loved that it was totally kid friendly. Well, except for the display Miles managed to get into. And the fact that we lost Miles for a good 20 minutes. But we'll overlook that, shall we?





My other friend Clare came with us. I was greatful for her company, and the extra pair of hands with which to keep control of the kids. See what I mean about people in Melbourne dressing better than me?





Kids lost it towards the end of the day.





But perked up for their first tram ride.







(Check out Miles' little scabs below his nose. Fell over, not surprisingly. I think an ugly injury is a rite of passage for a kid. I had to endure a scraped face from a skateboarding accident once. Not pretty)

Back home now with all the things I love about Melbourne dancing in my head. This fix of Melbs should last me for awhile. Ding!



*Meaghan

8 comments:

Charmaine Otto Photography May 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

You are one talented little lady, lady!!
I always enjoy reading your blog. Your photo's, your witty words...always make me smile!

Char..

Gemma Higgins-Sears May 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

you always have the best images from your adventures!!
beautiful work there :)

Nathan Vale May 27, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

I totally know what you mean. Living in the country is the best but you really do appreciate going to Melbourne for a visit!

me May 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

DING indeed! Looks like you all had a great time. Lovely shots, great memories.

fwiw, I live in Melbourne and feel the same as you do...

Louise Treacy May 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM  

Looks like you had fun - I love going to the city occasionally aswell especially for the shopping and the great coffee!LOL

Renee Bell May 28, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

yay for fun days!!!!!

Lara May 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

Cracker photos Meags. Look at the mo on the man behind Clare and Miles in the tram - it's a whopper. I saw a few of those in Bathurst this week too! Are the little uns better?

MEAGHAN COOK PHOTOGRAPHY BOUTIQUE June 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

Hah! Didn't even notice the mo on the guy in the tram. It's smoking.
*Meaghan

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP