Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm a photographer, Mum.

My mum (bless her cotton socks) still doesn't think this photography thing is a real job. She still thinks I just take pretty pictures in my spare time.



"When are you going to finish off your teaching degree? You've got one lot of teaching rounds to do then you're done." she says to me every time I go back to Shepparton to visit.

"Mum," I explain over a cup of Earl Grey and a scotch finger biscuit, "I don't want to be a teacher. I'm a photographer." I usually point suggestively with my eyes to the largeish camera that is undoubtedly sitting somewhere close by at this point.



She rolls her eyes so far back into her head that I get worried they'll get stuck there. "What about the future?" Mum says. I'm thinking Mum's a bit worried about my future, or the lack there of. Apparently there's no future in photography. Putting all my eggs into the photography basket makes my mum's heart palpitate



I think what worries mum most, is that I'm not worried. Not stressed. Just taking it all in my little shortie stride.



I've done enough stressing, and worrying, and sleepless nights and freaking out and anxious stuttering. Enough already! I don't think I could muster anymore of any of it if I tried. It's like when you cry and cry till there's no tears left. I've stressed and stressed, and there's just no stress left in these bones.



If this photography gig ends up a bit of a fizzer, so what. I'll go the movies more and finally read all those books piling up on my bedside table. There's those kids of mine who I'm sure wouldn't mind if I hung round them a bit more. And I know Amba wouldn't mind if I hung out with him more (if I also promised not to talk about photography he would flip his lid).



So maybe Mum, I might finish that teaching degree (which I have to admit, I did come unbelievably close, but that's another story) but just not right at the moment.

Because today, I'm a photographer.
(Albeit one who struggles to keep her eyes open when she's having her photo taken).



* Meaghan

8 comments:

Anna July 8, 2009 at 11:11 PM  

Yep, you sure are. The best one I know!

Stella Pics July 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

LOL! Did you write this or did I?
*SNAP* I have had the same conversation with my mum, lucky me though my Dad 'got' me!

Bianca July 11, 2009 at 12:19 AM  

There is no question, my friend. You are not just a photographer, you are a talented, amazing photographer who I would love to have take my photos... maybe one day when Im down your end of Australia!!

Jo Ashworth July 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

have i said i love your blog lol! yep, you are a photographer - your mum will "get" it eventually, and as you said, no matter if it doesnt work out - how many career changes on average do people have in their lives, teaching smeeching, go with your heart

Merryn Gomez July 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM  

snap! LOL! you are so cute Meaghan!

Nicole Pearce July 14, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

Loved reading this blog entry, lol. What did your mum think when she read it?

Renee Bell July 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM  

hehe love the post & you are so cute :-)

Penny Smith August 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

Meaghan,

I haven't properly explored your blog and I'm sorry (for myself) that I haven't until now. Your images just keep getting better and better! WOW! And I love this post! I think alot of us can relate (including myself!) You have a beautiful vibe about you and I wish we could have talked more at PMA. Oh and how beautiful are the locations you have been using lately!! Daffodil fields, gorgeous roads with huge trees forming a canopy overhead, umm why don't I live near anything like this!!? HAHA! Keep up the great work, going to add you to Google Reader now so I don't miss any more....

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP