Saturday, September 25, 2010

Nerves of steel (or a lack thereof)

My first ROCK WHAT YOU'VE GOT photography business workshop is tomorrow. And oh my gawd, I am so nervous. When I'm nervous I get really really cold. Physically freezing. So I've spent the day with two jumpers and a scarf on. My hands are like ice, and Miles wouldn't let me rub his back like I do every night before he goes to sleep. 'No mum, your hands are colder than the freezer'.

The emotional manifestation of my nerves is that I loose the plot. I 100% forget where my head is. I can't think straight. I have to think hard to remember my own name. When I'm nervous I turn into a puddle of cold custard on the floor.

This happened to me before pretty much every one of my weddings last year. The nerves always set in the morning of the wedding. I consequently do ridiculous things such as lock my keys in the car, drive off leaving my camera bag on the front step, or get half way to a wedding and realise I have no shoes on. We've learnt to deal with it by putting Amba in charge of getting me ready. Before I leave the house he makes sure I have my camera, lenses, memory cards, batteries, and that I'm completely dressed. It's a system that seems to work as I always have my shoes on when I get to the wedding (knock wood).

So knowing that I get flustered is making my nerves worse about tomorrow. It's not that I'm having to talk in front of people (although I'm convinced I'll look like a peanut at least some of the time), nor is it having to talk about how I run my photography business which is causing me grief. It's the logistical stuff like 'what if I can't get the TV to work?' or 'what if I talk so fast that no one can understand a thing I'm saying and it's all over half an hour after it starts?' I've got visions of tripping over my own feet and going face first into the morning tea. I'm not very co-ordinated, it's a very real possibility.

I think I'll just have to warn the people as they walk in the door that anything that can go wrong, most likely will. And could they kindly refrain of taking any photographic evidence if I do happen to end up making love to the scones.

And here's a gumball machine from Luci and Vladimir's shoot. It's pretty. And I'm using it to distract myself!

meaghancook1


Wish me luck!

* Meaghan


Contact Meaghan | Join the FACEBOOK PAGE | Follow on TWITTER

10 comments:

Sharon Mallin September 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Lovely Meaghan ... I love the honesty in this post. Being nervous is something I can definitely relate to. Im sure you'll rock your workshop tomorrow and have no doubts you will inspire people in the process! Goodluck :)

Tracy Wallace September 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

Good luck with it tomorrow. Im sure it will be a fantastic turnout for you and your students. Have a blast :)

Natalie September 25, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

Oh hun go and have a stiff drink and a warm bath...you will totally rock the socks off everyone tomorrow!!!!!

LBA September 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

LUCK !

You will rock it .. personally I think a bit of fear is good, a bit of fear drives us, makes us care, try harder, be better.

Show me someone that isn't, and i'll show you complacency.

Xx

Kristen Cook September 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Meaghan it will be amazing, as I know you are! Enjoy every minute xx

MEAGHAN COOK PHOTOGRAPHY BOUTIQUE September 25, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

Thanks so much everyone. Means the world that you've all got such confidence in me.

And lea, you're so right. Nerves can be really good, if they are channeled to create positive energy and drive you forward.

Lyn Walkerden September 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

You will be amazing! I agree that nervous energy is a good thing. Everyone will love you and you will have a blast! Enjoy!

Life at no2 September 26, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

If you are anywhere as near as good as at your first ever workshop, you will blow everyone away! Enjoy it, I'm sure everyone else will. So sorry I can't be there!

Anonymous September 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

break a leg

Jen Stocks September 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

Well I think you are just awesome, and will be great at whatever you do. Rock on girl!

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP