Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fiji or/and bust

I haven't decided yet whether our holiday was tremendous or terrible. It certainly had elements of both. I'm just not sure which one there was more of though. It depends if I'm having a glass half empty or half full day. But when people ask me 'how was your holiday?' I tell them honestly, and usually with a shrug of my shoulder, 'I haven't decided'.

Our trip to Fiji was supposed to be all sunshine and lazing about. In many ways it was. There was the obligatory palm trees, and locals greeting us in their native tongue. I got to read my book by a pool. The children watched a man nimbly scale a coconut tree and relieve it of it's fruit. All those good wholesome things a tropical holiday is supposed to be.

meaghancook01

meaghancook02

meaghancook03

Shoes optional on tropical holidays.

meaghancook04

meaghancook05

meaghancook06

meaghancook07

A lemonade for me, and a beer for my mum, thank you very much.

meaghancook09

meaghancook08

meaghancook10

meaghancook11

meaghancook12

meaghancook13

meaghancook14

Don't all those photos make our holiday look wonderful? Unfortunately it wasn't all beers at the swim up bar. About 2 hours into our flight, Ryan woke up flaming hot. I could have warmed my in-flight meal up on him. He couldn't talk, and I could smell the tonsillitis on his breath. Cue three days of round the clock medicine, taking turns to stay in the suite while Ryan slept, trying to coax Ryan to eat or drink something. He finally started to bounce back and I could see my relaxing holiday on the horizon.

But before I could grab my towel and head to the beach Miles was struck down. Hello tonsillitis mark II (and a temp above 40 degrees if you don't mind). Miles was sicker than Ryan. The sickest he's been all year.

meaghancook15

meaghancook16

meaghancook18

Miles having his temp checked by the resort doctor (he nearly melted her thermometer). The doctor was worth her eight in gold, prescribing medication, giving advice as to how to help the children, being suitably sympathetic that they were so unwell while they were away from home.

meaghancook17

They tried to rally. They really did. This is Miles bobbing around in the pool. Note the grey pallor and languid expression.

meaghancook19

Ryan doing 'tricks'.

meaghancook20

... and back to what they did best (and most of).

meaghancook21

Amba and I weren't going to spend the entire trip staring at the wall of our suite, so we tempted the children out with promises of iguanas. And boat rides.

meaghancook22

meaghancook23

meaghancook26

They offered Ryan some orange juice on board. He drank two glasses in very quick succession. They didn't go down well. Try to aim over the side Ryan.

meaghancook27

meaghancook28

meaghancook24

meaghancook25

meaghancook29

meaghancook30

And then we went home. The trip wasn't a total write off. Not completely. But almost. On the plane home I asked Amba where we were going to make up for this trip. Bali? Canada? The Barwon Heads caravan park?

meaghancook32

meaghancook31

meaghancook33

meaghancok34

meaghancook35

* Meaghan

All photos taken on my bright orange Panasonic Lumix. All shots taken by either me or one of the children.

3 comments:

Karen Buckle January 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM  

Poor babies! Timing huh! xo

Alex Gardner January 10, 2011 at 9:26 AM  

I feel so sympathetic but as I read through the misadventures of Meag & Amba a smile creeps over my face and I laugh a little.

I try to restain myself but it's like Parenthood, Planes, Trains & Automobiles and everyother tragic comedy from the 80s all rolled into one.

Helena January 11, 2011 at 8:06 AM  

This is life! Thanks for sharing.

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP