Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Family matters

A few weeks back, I had a bustling house and I loved it. My friend Sarah and her husband Nick came to stay with their cherubs Eva and Quinn.

It was not only wonderful to be able to spend time with them, but also to get to know their little ones. We were already living in Ocean Grove when Quinn was born. I've had cuddles, but it was so great to be able to get to know him.

Hello Quinn!



This little patootie is full.on. I think it's great, but can imagine that when he's still awake in the middle of the night and wanting to play peek-a-boo for the thousandths time, I'd think it was less great.



Nick and Sarah are such good parents. So much better than they give themselves credit for. They're warm and doting, sincere and patient. But they think otherwise, and I can see where they're coming from, because I think the same of myself. I'm the worst parent! But that's only because I rate myself on all the bad bits. I measure myself against the time the kids spend in front of the television, the junk food they love to eat, the times I get frustrated and upset and want to run far far away. I'm blind to the good things I do for my children. I hope Sarah and Nick can avoid my trap, and measure their parenting on the good things, namely the happiness of their children (which is immense!)

And hello Eva!



These photos were snapped on my living room couch just before we were heading out to dinner. Sarah and I were waiting for Nick and Amba to come back from surfing, and we were trying unsuccessfully to get four hyped up kids through the bath and dressed for dinner. It was chaos, so I promptly gave up and grabbed my camera instead. Way more fun.



I love this photo of Eva. She's a busy little bee. Being two, that's not surprising. But she can also be very serious. She's contemplative. Quite still at times. I love that I've been able to capture one of these moments.



I hope they come again, sit around my table, eat and talk merrily, and fill my house with bustle.

* Meaghan

What I'm reading: How are we hungry by DaveEggers
What I'm listening to: This year by the Mountain Goats

6 comments:

Narrelle October 14, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

Gorgeous, Meaghan. I totally get you on the mothering thing. Most of the time I'm convinced I'm the worst mother in the world - I think we're all our own worst enemies...

MEAGHAN COOK PHOTOGRAPHY BOUTIQUE October 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

I know you're a wonderful mother Narelle. You're kids are vivacious and happy.
You're right, we're our own worst enemies. And it's so foreign to pat ourselves on the back for a job well done. It's more in our nature to berate ourselves. I know I need to work on giving myself some credit.
Meaghan xox

Alicia - Savvy Studios October 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

All these photos are great but I just LOVE that last black and white one. Beautiful :)

Lyn Walkerden October 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Gorgeous photos of gorgeous kids. Love them all Meaghan.

Renee Bell October 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM  

LOVE the last shot!!!!!

Bianca October 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Oh what cuties!! Gorgeous shots Meaghan but I lurve that last one, the light is awesome!

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP