Thursday, January 13, 2011

Self improvement 2011

I blogged back when it was my birthday that I felt like I'd misplaced myself somewhere along the way. That I'd bundled up all the good bits and left them in a good will bin. This thought has stuck with me over the last few months. I've turned my mind to how I've changed, why I've changed, and were the changes for the better.

Some of the changes definitely were, but it was mostly the circumstantial stuff such as where I was living and my sense of fulfillment I get from my job. But other changes were more on the nose (perpetually grumpy, feathers easily ruffled).

So 2011 has been duly dubbed 'self improvement 2011'. The whole year is all about self betterment. Setting about doing things that make me better.

meaghancook01

Now I don't mean going on a crazy fitness kick or taking on a whole new vegan eating pattern (I mean, that'd be fun but let's not be over ambitious). Something that makes me better can (and will) be as simple as ducking into a movie theatre on a Sunday afternoon to watch the recent Sophia Coppola film on my own. Or listening to podcasts about the world's economy.

Reading good books, emphasis on the good.
Going to live music (oh how I've missed sticky pub carpet)
Putting pen to paper and writing stories again (you all knew I used to be a journalist right?)
Doing things I wouldn't ordinarily do.
Getting outside of my warm, fluffy, protective, surrounded in faux fur comfort zone.

meaghancook02

I've already been putting my money where my mouth is. Cue Meaghan water skiing on Lake Eildon to the delight of my friends in the boat. Ordinarily I would have shook my head when I was asked if I wanted a turn at water-skiing. I would have made some excuse about the temperature of the water not being to my liking and then quickly busied myself looking for the sunscreen so that I didn't have to meet the person's eye. But this time I was asked, because it was Self Improvement 2011, I accepted, plunged into the water and proceeded to completely balls up some water-skiing maneuvers. It.was.ace. Sure, I fell over in an extremely inelegant fashion numerous times, but I really didn't care. I was water-skiing god-dammit!

meaghancook03

So bring it on Self Improvement 2011. I'm looking you in the eye, and taking you on with mighty force. I'm going to knock you flat.

* Meaghan

ps - These wonderful photos of me were taken by the divine Sarah Black during a little adventure we had at the end of last year. More about it to come very soon...


Join the FACEBOOK PAGE | Follow on TWITTER

11 comments:

Alex Gardner January 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM  

Just say, "Yes."

Sharon Mallin January 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM  

These song words just popped into my head as I was reading this: 'you are beautiful, in every single way' ... so true! 2011 is going to be a great year for you x

Karen Buckle January 13, 2011 at 9:00 PM  

What Alex said.

Kristen Cook January 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM  

Oh yes, ditto Alex x

Kylie January 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM  

Go go go you gorgeous thing! xoxoxoxox

Emily W January 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM  

LOVE IT.

Lynn January 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM  

by the way love the hair cut!!!

jen Stocks January 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM  

You and all your awesomeness inspires me every time. These photos are so beautiful too.

susan wall January 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM  

you're all over beautiful x

Lara January 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM  

Congrats for really living up to your best intentions. You were so brave on the waterskiing adventure and you even encouraged me- (otherwise known as lasty-lara) to participate in an adrenalin activity and to just give it a go. And that's the good and very important thing about living upto the go-getter that you are- other people (read me) get into life with you... Kudos.

MEAGHAN COOK PHOTOGRAPHY BOUTIQUE January 14, 2011 at 9:58 PM  

I'm glad you jumped in too Lara! I must say, you have a natural flair for water-skiing. xox

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP