Wednesday, January 20, 2010

If you'll walk across my camera ...

On Monday, my mum and dad arrived at my house with a large pile of boxes. They're moving house, and apparently I'm old enough to store my own stuff. I tried to argue that it was part of my history and should remain in the family home. It fell on deaf ears, and I now have several very heavy boxes cluttering up my entrance.

There's old photos complete with curling corners, school books with drawings scratched into the covers, souvenirs from my first overseas trip to Rome, mixed tapes made by friends and just general junk that I never threw out.

In my angsty youth days I was an avid journal writer. No, not the 'dear diary', kind of stuff. Not even general recounts of my day. I wrote stories, (bad) poems, favourite song lyrics, quotes from dead writers. I cut things from the paper and stuck them in (the best one of my cuttings was Christopher Skase's obituary. So titillating). I took things from my life and stuck those in too. These journals were layered, textured.

I found this one in particular. It was from 2001, when I was in my 2nd year of uni. I was studying creative writing, so the journal is full of stories. I must have also fancied myself a bit of a play write because there's a fair few of those in there too.

But the curious thing, is that on the opening page, I'd written this:



"If you'll walk across my camera, I will flash the world your story." - Billy Bragg.


That was nine years ago, and I didn't even own a camera! Surely the younger me couldn't have known what the future would bring. I'm pretty sure what I was referring to were people's stories that I hoped to tell with my writing. I hope that's it at least, or I'm going to be completely spooked.

* Meaghan

What I'm watching: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
What I'm reading: my old journals. Gee I was melodramatic!

11 comments:

Love, Gigi and Lulu January 20, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

I love stories like this. Spooky...
Prue x

Amanda Keeys January 20, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

How cool is that?! You must have known deep down on some level.

Angela Stewart January 20, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

wow, I love prophetic stories like that! I've just started stalking your blog a couple of weeks ago but haven't commented until now. I adore your work and you're a constant inspiration to me!

Jen Stocks January 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

Love reading your blog. You are such a natural storyteller. I know it's like with me - I feel i'm here to tell a story whether it's in words or pictures and I try my hardest to do both well. You, my darling are the master of it. And - holy cow - I am with you on being melodramatic. Reading back through my old stuff, I was a LUNATIC!

Hannah January 20, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

I just love how sometimes we predict out own futures. Wonderful.

Christine Pobke January 21, 2010 at 1:22 AM  

That is AMAZING Meaghan!! I love it when we can look back on our lives and know that somewhere in our subconscious, perhaps we were wiser about our futures than we gave ourselves credit for!! It's not very often that we have the chance to look back on our journals of when we were younger... thanks for sharing this! :) I totally have goosebumps! :)

Eileen January 21, 2010 at 1:52 AM  

Love reading your stories and ramblings on here Meaghan! Maybe subconsciously back then you knew what you were going to be in years to come :P.. you were obviously born to do something creative, whether it was writing, or something more artistic like photography.

fiona carson January 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

do you know, I was the same. as a teenager, i had no idea what I wanted to be, i had never owned a camera and had no idea that's what I actually wanted to be when I grew up! Then I was talking to someone about work experience that you do in grade 10....and I realised that I had actually done mine in a photographic studio!!!! I had totally forgotten...but obviously somewhere along the line I had thought it was a pretty cool job!!!!

I also love the way you write. I wish I could be as interesting as you, lol.

Philly January 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

I love reading these sort of stories! Strange how our life can tie in without us really knowing it.

Sarah Gibson January 22, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

Love it! Its always amazing when you can look back on things you wrote a long time ago and see how much you've change but at the same time stayed exactly the same! It gave me goosebumps!

Karen Buckle January 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

You're on the right path for sure!

SIGN UP!

Receive exclusive news, updates, camera and business tips
* indicates required

Blog Archive

Search The Journal

About Meaghan Cook Photography Boutique

For more lovliness view The Boutique website

For photo inquiries please contact meaghan@meaghancook.com. 

'Photography makes my eyes prickle, my fingers tingle, and my heart thump in my chest.' - Meaghan

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Distributed by Creative Artworkof Fractal Enlightenment

Back to TOP